Monday, April 14, 2008

For my Mimi...




As many of you know, my family lost a very special lady on Thursday. Many knew her as Edith, but she was our Mimi, my grandmother. I cannot begin to describe how she touched my life. No words can express the impact she had and still has on me. She was more than a grandmother: she was a mentor, a teacher, and a best friend. I always knew she would be there for me whenever I needed her, no matter how many things were going on in her life. I told her things I have never told anyone else, and she kept those close to her heart. Even the last time I saw her, we told each other things I know no one else knows about.
I loved her with all my heart, and I am so thankful that she was in my life for 32 years. 32 years sounds like a long time to me, but when I think about the time we had together, it doesn't seem long enough. In the last 4 years, she has gone through what most people might not be able to go through in 50 years. She was such a fighter, and she NEVER complained. Mimi was one tough lady.
The above image was taken about 6 years ago when she was 76. Somehow, we talked her into going for a ride on Michael's motercycle. Oh, how she loved it! She was always willing to try new things and never let her age get in the way. I have also added the lovely program that my cousin Tina put together for her funeral yesterday. It will be something we will always treasure - to read it, click the image and it will enlarge.
Tina asked her sister, Ivey, and I to write down some thoughts on our time with Mimi. I could have gone on forever. We are all more like sisters than cousins, all because of Mimi. Tina and I have often talked about how she had a way of making each of us feel like we were the most special to her knowing all the while she made the other two feel the same way. That is a special talent only she had. I only pray that I will be half the mother, grandmother, friend and teacher that she was.

These past couple of days have been so difficult for us, but I take comfort knowing that she is finally dancing with Papa again. I miss my Mimi and my heart is heavy, but as Tina wrote in her poem to Mimi, even in our sadness, everything will be okay.
One last thing, I would like to thank all my wonderful friends who have been there for me during this difficult time. You have no idea how much your love and support have meant to me. I am so grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. And to my clients, thank you to all of those that have called, sent messages, and flowers. I truly appreciate all the kind words, thoughts and prayers. It is so comforting to know my family is being thought of and prayed for. Thank you again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will miss Mimi too. She was a very special person. The service was beautiful yesterday. I love you Kelly!
London

Anonymous said...

I never really new Mimi, but from everything I have heard about her, I wish I would have had the chance to know her. The service was a beautiful tribute for such a wonderful person. She must be smiling from above as we speak. Mimi will always be with you...never forget that! I love you Kelly!

Sheree

Anonymous said...

I'll miss how she couldn't stop laughing once I got her going. But I take comfort knowing that her spirit lives on in her three grandaughters. I love you too, Kelly.

Mandy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss. Maybe Mimi has met Madeline and can rock her til I get there. I am thinking of you.

Mandy
GA
www.madelinegracehopkins.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

One thing I am most thankful for is Mimi's intent on creating lasting relationships among us, her granddaughters. Kelly, as you know, i think of you as a sister and i cannot imagine life without your phone calls, visits, laughter, or our many hilarious memories. although my life is forever changed with Mimi's absence, i want to honor her trough our relationships and those of our boys. i am thankful for you and i know Mimi was and is SO very proud of your chasing your dreams... that is what she was all about!

i love you so much
ivey